Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Less is More

Alas, alack and woe! My first major bear making incident.

I couldn't leave well enough alone, and decided that my 'finished' head could use some eyelids. I intended to do them on my next bear- why not a little practice? I tacked one on one side with my fine needle felting needle, fiddled around for like an hour, examined it critically, decided it didn't suit, and took it off. I had been able to remove other very gently applied felt pieces without damaging my mohair and I didn't this time either but...

The wool underneath the eye had compacted. Arg! What a newbie mistake. I may be brand spanking new to bear making but I know my way around a felting needle. Suffice it to say, it was a definite "head desk" moment.


I'll need to see her all assembled before I decide if she is worthy to be my first "for sale" bear, but I don't think that this incident has ruined her chances. It was a little harrowing there for a while. I had to open and re-stuff that side of the head to try to counteract the shrunken wool and it took two or three tries to get the eye to match the other. When all was said and one I *think* I have salvaged the situation.

In summation, here are the lessons Ally learned tonight:

1. Sometimes, it is best to leave well enough alone.
2. Be careful of felting up your filler wool.
3. Be committed when you put on eyelids.

No comments:

Post a Comment